Sunday, September 21, 2008

IKEA

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3675&id=1450153385
Worked with IKEA on a fundraising event over the last few months so I was in the store more times than I can count. I have always loved that Swedish Store. In fact, when I built my eco-house, I poured over the IKEA website to get ideas. I wanted to furnish my house with their products, but there was no store in the ATL six years ago when I built. I even had the idea that I would drive to DC in a U-HAUL and pick up everything but I just never had the time. Once you buy IKEA's products, someone has to put them together. While things like that used to give me pause, I have since learned there is a great company, CAI, that contracts direct with IKEA customers to do exactly that, put everything together correctly. So this year, I had IKEA design my office space ergonomically and CAI installed it all. It was still less expensive than most any other design stores in town and their products are so cool looking and have such clean lines. I love the modern look which is probably why I have always enjoyed IKEA. I usually don't like the big box stores but IKEA really stands apart. I love the fact that they have a place called playland for kids to be dropped off while their parents shop. For those of us that will never have children, we are not as enamored by them as their family members when they are whining, screaming, and jumping on everything in sight while you are trying to furnish your house. Playland gives them a place to act out while the rest of us can enjoy our shopping venture.

I also like the fact that they have those really big reusable shopping bags. I use those over and over, even when I am not shopping there. I enjoy being able to find items that are not made in China too. IKEA has its share of china-made products but you can also find things manufactured in Europe. You cannot find that at the big box retailers not matter how hard you look.

I also love the smell of those cinnamon rolls baking in the store It evokes a feeling of my grandmother's house. She used to bake apple dumplings every Saturday and the smell of the cinnamon reminds me of her when I am shopping there. Nothing makes me more emotional than the thought of eating apple dumplings with my grandmother on a cool fall afternoon. I think this is another thing that is so brilliant about IKEA marketing. They know that creating a sense of home is more than just the goods you buy to fill it up. It is more about the feelings it evokes from the fond memories of your family. I wish there were more stores like IKEA. It really doesn't feel like the US-based big box stores like Wal-Mart, Target, and K-Mart. Would love to hear any thoughts you have on IKEA.

1 comment:

tomji said...

I bought a bed for my son at IKEA Atlanta...the kind with the slats for springs...and very comfortable. I remember winding around and around to get to where you want to go, a bit disorienting for someone there the first time, kind of like a big maze store.