Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Being First

Received an email this week that mentioned Brock Homes had built the first level three Earth Craft House in the city of ATL, which reminded me of another story I heard on TV a few months ago where the owners of the Eco Manor were stating that they were the first LEED certified Green Energy Home in ATL. I built a Green Energy House in 2002 in the ATL before there were certifications for this and that. So, it got me to wondering why everyone was so eager to say they were the first? It is interesting that when someone does something that they think is so unique, they want to claim that they were the first. But why? Is it not enough just to do something good?

I heard it said many times this year when Hillary was running for President that she was the first. But when I was 10, my Dad took me to Asheboro, NC to hear Shirley Chisholm, an African-American woman who was running for President, speak. That was the same year, my grandmother taught me about recycling and source separation. Was she the first to recycle? I also heard about lots of firsts while watching the Olympics. Phelps was the first to win 8 Gold. I watched Mark Spitz when he was the first to win 7 gold. The Phelps Olympics had a 50 M race that didn't exist during Spitz's time so he only got 7 tries. I have been told that the pool is deeper now and has least resistance than during Spitz's time. The swim suits are different too, better suited for faster times. I was excited and energized by both wins not because they were the first, but because, it was exciting. Why do you think we have this preoccupation to be the first? If anyone has thoughts about this, I would love to hear them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to be on record as the first to say "I don't know."