Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Big Apple and 33 Variations






Organized about 20 friends for a trip to NYC to see Jane Fonda's play 33 Variations. Fonda plays a modern day musicoligist Katherine Brandt in search of reasons for Beethoven's obsession with "Diabelli's Waltz", a supposed mediocre composition that fascinated Beethoven. He created 33 variations over a three year span out of something everyone else thought was an unimaginative, repetitive bore. I loved the way the play paralleled the lives of Beethoven's fixation on Diabelli's Waltz, while suffering from his deafness and Brandt's fixation on Beethoven's obsession with Diabelli's Waltz as she struggled with her illness, ALS. The duality on stage was very powerful! While people thought Beethoven was mocking Diabelli's Waltz, he was actually admiring it, thus the reason for so many variations over such a long period of his life. Brandt's examination of Beethoven's work and her struggle with her own illness, helped her to realize that the true beauty of life can come out of the seemingly mundane.

Jane was absolutely brilliant as she is in everything she does. I have never really seen Jane in her professional element, acting other than a few of her films, On Golden Pond, Monster-in-Law, and Georgia Rule. I had the great fortune of working for her public charity for a couple of years and was always excited by her passion to a cause she believed in, her dedication to educating others on the cause and her brilliant, moving speeches! Every time I heard her speak, I would become even more committed to the cause. After seeing her in this play, I realized for the first time, she must continue sharing her craft with the world. Her work on stage touches so many people. I saw many people with tears, and everyone was talking about her incredible performance. One person I ran into, was there for the fourth time because he was so moved by it. Jane belongs on stage where the masses can enjoy her talent. I feel so blessed that I was lucky enough to cross her path during my lifetime and hers. It made me want to get a year subscription to Netflix just for Fonda on film. If you haven't seen 33 Variations, you need to. If you have, would love to know your thoughts on the play...

No comments: