Sunday, October 5, 2008

Gasoline Shortages in the ATL


Last Sunday, in anticipation of the upcoming work week, I went to several neighborhood service stations to fill up. To my dismay, none of them had gas. So I got up early Monday, and started out again. I never anticipated, living in one of the top 50 cities in the US (by population) and not being able to find gasoline. This only happens in third world countries, I thought. Eleven stations later, and 16 miles from my home, I found gas. I was so depressed about this, I went back home, turned on my laptop and started working. I let my boss know of course. I had two meetings that day so I had them come to my home. They apparently had fuel. I checked the CNN news section and saw that our governor, Sonny Purdue, had just flown off to Europe. I can't find gas in my state and my governor has flown to Europe, WOW!. I then ran across the Pickens Plan for energy independence. This billionaire oil man in Texas has a plan to reduce America's independence on oil, but is anyone listening? We have a plan and this is the first I have heard of it. It got me to wondering about conservation of everything from water to oil. I built a solar house with geothermal, rainharvest, greywater harvesting, etc, etc in 2002 and I remember how difficult it was for me to get permits to use greywater and rainwater to water my plants. First we have the mortgage crisis, then the gas crisis. I am certain water is next. In the ATL, we have had a drought for 2 years. It reminded me of Janelle Monae's song Sincerely Jane and its powerful words "Are we really living or are we walking dead now?" We have all of these problems in America, "Are we really living or are we walking dead now?" You tell me...

2 comments:

tomji said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments Tomji. I keep the skate shoes with me at all times. I work 9 miles from the office and would never consider biking through ATL, too dangerous. I take calculated risks. Don't have the equilibrium for skateboarding so I will leave that for the younger at heart.